Kindly read the tips under baby foods before going into the recipes.After 6 months we start introducing solid foods to babies.Flax-Millet porridge suits best for breakfast. The main ingredient used is Finger millet and Flax seed.Initially start with very less quantity and if it suits the baby then gradually increase the quantity.I have also given down step by step ingredients for each month.This is my first recipe for infants and I will come up with more healthy food supplement for infants to avoid packed/tinned supplements.
After 6 months initially start with clear soups and after 2 weeks start feeding as stated below.
- 6th month start just with only ragi ( very few quantity).
- 7th month add ragi and Flax seed
- 8th month add Ragi, Bajra (Kambu),also flaxseed
- 9th month add 1/4 tsp of Jowar (white chollam), Bajra (Kambu),also flaxseed
- 10th month add 1/4 tsp of wheat along with the previous grains
- 11th month add 1 nuts daily (walnut, badam, pista, cashew) along with the grains.
- 12th month start mixing the porridge with 1/4 glass of milk to increase the taste.
This porridge can be given until 2 years and above which provides a better nutritional support for growing kids.
Ragi/ Finger-Millet – 1 tsp
Flax seed – 1/4 tsp
Palm sugar -1/4 tsp
Water -1 cup
The method of preparation given here is for porridge with ragi and Flax seed. In the same way change the ingredients for each month.
Wash the ragi and flax-seed together and soak the previous night.
Grind in a mixer and filter the milk as shown in the picture. grind at-least 3 times adding water to extract the milk from grains completely.
Add the Palm sugar and boil the extracted milk in low flame with continuous stirring without any clumps. (Check for any impurities in palm sugar. If any parboil the sugar and filter the impurities)
When the porridge is at this thick consistency put off the flame. Cook for about 15 to 20 minutes till the raw smell of the milk goes off .Allow it to cool with continuous stirring to avoid forming of clumps. Transfer to a serving bowl.
- Palm sugars are available in various shades of brown.
- Though we get these grains in health mix, I prefer extracting milk from these grains and making porridge gives a better nutrition.
- Before adding a new grain consult with your pediatrician whether the particular grain suits for you baby.
- This porridge is suitable and good for breakfast.