Brinjal is high in water content and Potassium.They are used as remedy for cancer, hypertension and diabetes.Brinjal has the ability to bring down the cholesterol to a greater extent and also stabilizes the blood sugar level.Potato is rich in carbohydrate , less in Protein and are easy to digest.This property makes good diet for babies.They are also rich in Vitamin C, B-complex vitamins and wonderful source of fiber.
Dry red chillies -3 to 4
Curry leaves -1 stick
Red chilli powder -1 tsp
Turmeric powder -a pinch
Oil -3 to 4 tbsp
Mustard -1/4 tsp
Channa dal and urad dal -1 tsp together
Grated coconut – 1/4 cup
Salt as required
1.Heat oil in thick kadai add mustard and let it splutter. Add channa dal and urad dal.
2. fry till they slight brownish, then add dry red chillies,curry leaves.
3. Meanwhile slice brinjal and potato in length wise and add to it.
4. Keep stirring , then cover and cook for 5 minutes. Add red chili powder,turmeric powder,salt and mix well.
5.Do not add water as the poriyal becomes soggy. So cover and cook this in low flame.
6. When the vegetable is found cooked,add grated coconut and mix well and transfer to a serving dish.
- Use a thick kadai for making this poriyal. I used an iron kadai.
- While closing with a lid take care that the lid should touch the vegetable to cover and not the top of kadai. This is just to avoid steaming.
- If you require garnish with chopped coriander
|Potato Brinjal Poriyal|