Elephant Foot Yam is called as Senai kilzhangu in Tamil, Suran in Hindi. They are edible tubers and safely consumed by diabetic people.They are good for women as they increases estrogen levels in maintaining a normal hormonal balance. Since they are high in Vitamin B6,provides relief from Pre-Menstural syndrome(PMS). Consumption reduces irregular bowel movements, cure constipation and good for people with piles.
Elephant foot yam – 1 cup
Red chilli – 3
Curry leaves -5
Channa dal & urad dal -1 tsp
Shallots -6 to 7
Turmeric powder -1/2 tsp
Red chilli powder -1/4 tsp
Mustard -1/4 tsp
Oil -2 tbsp
Grated coconut -4 tbsp
How to Cut and wash the yam:
- Wear a gloves or grease your hands with oil before cleaning the yam to avoid itching.
- Cut the yam in cube shape and wash well with water adding 1 tsp of crystal salt to reduce itching sensation.
- Put the chopped yam in a round bottomed vessel, add about 3 cups of water, turmeric powder, red chilli powder,little salt and close the vessel with a lid.
- Cook well until the yam becomes soft. Once complete drain the water out.
- Heat oil in a kadai, add mustard and let it splutter.
- Now fry the channa dal & urad dal to golden brown. Add chopped shallots, chillies, curry leaves and saute for a while.
- Add in grated coconut and fry for only a minute.
- Now add the cooked yam and sprinkle little salt as you have already added salt while cooking the elephant foot yam.
- Cook for about 10 minutes in low flame and transfer to a serving plate.
|Senai kilzhangu Poriyal
- Cook the yam well,if not they cause itching/irritation in throat also.Hi dear sure I will post by next week once I reach my place.
- In South most of the people prepare Elephant foot yam poriyal in this method.