1. Wash the Rice and dal mixing together and add to the pressure cooker.
2. Add 4 ½ cups of water and pressure cook for 3 whistles.
3. Once the pressures is down open the lid and add in the jaggery and mix well till they get melted completely.
4. Heat 2 tsp of ghee in pan,fry the cashews and raisins and add to the cooker and also add the remaining ghee to it and smash well.
5. Now transfer to a serving bowl and garnish fried cashews.
- Jaggery is available in cream and also in brown colour. I used the cream coloured, so the pongal looks slightly white in colour.
- If the jaggery is soft, it melts with the heat of cooked rice & dal, if not melt the jaggery with 1 tsp water and then add to the cooked rice.
- If you love to have the flavour of cardamom, add a pinch of cardamom powder at the end.