Thuthuvalai is called as purple fruited pea eggplant in English.This is effective in balancing tridosha i.e; vada,pitta,kappa. The leaves are very effective in neutralizing excess heat,relieves from sore throat, cough and cold and also gas trapped in body.In medicine of siddha these leaves are called as long life elixir. They stimulates blood production, prevents thickening of blood,increases blood flow.
Thuthuvalai leaves – 10
Pepper corns -1 tsp
Jeera -1 tsp
Garlic – 6 pods
Shallots – 4 to 5
Turmeric powder -1/4 tsp
Dhania powder -1 tsp
Coriander leaves -1 tsp
Salt as required
Horsegram – 1 tsp ( optional )
- Grind all the ingredients in a blender( except coriander leaves) to a very fine paste.
- Transfer the grinded paste to a thick vessel,add 3 to 4 cups of water and boil well till the raw smell of the leaves goes off.
- Finally add chopped coriander leaves and transfer to a serving bowl slowly so that the grinded sediments gets filtered at the bottom.
- The healthy medicinal soup is ready to serve.
- Wash the leaves well before grinding. Check for any insects below the leaf.
- As we are grinding the leaves to fine paste its not required to remove thorns. If you want you can remove it.
- If you like tangy taste in the soup, just add pinch of tamarind while grinding.
- Adding horsegram to the soup is good for cold and cough.