Tomato is rich source of Vitamin C which is available throughout the year. Making tomato rice is simple that too preparing in a pressure cooker makes the dish much simpler. This recipe is plain and soft dish as it does not include adding of spices/masala items so you can be devoid of regurgitation when taken at night. Also it can take part in lunch box menu too.
Mustard – 1/4 tsptsp
Oil – 3 tbsp
Coriander leaves 1 to 2 tbsp
- Wash the rice and keep soaked for 1/2 an hour if you require.
- Cut the onion and tomatoes in long thin slices. Crush the garlic and ginger. Slit the green chillies.
- Heat oil in pressure cooker. Add mustard and let it splutter.
- Add onions,green and red chillies,curry leaves and fry well. Take care that onions do not get fried till golden brown.
- Add crushed ginger , garlic and saute just twice.
- Put In the tomatoes and cook till mushy.
- Add the rice and add 2 and half cup water,red chilli powder,turmeric powder and salt. Now close the lid and leave for 2 whistles.
- Once the pressure is down add in finely chopped coriander leaves and mix well.
- Measure of water and rice depends on the variety of rice you use for cooking. I use ponni rice for cooking
- You can add in or reduce the amount of chilli powder depending on the requirement.