Vallarai is commonly called as Centella or Asiatic/Indian pennywort. It acts as nervine tonic,improves mental ability and in Ayurveda it is used in treating mental disorders too..Centella supports normal functioning of mind,intellect,consciousness and good spirit. Vallarai is normally used in preparing chutney.
Vallarai – 2 bunches
Tomato -1 small sized
Dry chillies -5
Channa dal -1/2 tsp
Urad dal -1 tsp
Grated coconut -1/3 cup
Tamarind – pea sized
Oil -1 tbsp
Salt as required
- Heat 1/2 tsp oil in a pan,saute the vallarai leavesleaves for about 5 minutes and keep aside.
- In the same kadai add remaining oil and fry channa dal,urad dal to golden brown.
- Add shallots, dry red chillies and fry well. Once the shallots are fried add the chopped tomatoes and cook mushy.
- Now add grated coconut and fry well.
- Transfer all the fried ingredients,salt,tamarind to a blender and grind well to a coarse paste. Add little water to grind.
- The chutney is ready to be served with rice,dosa or idlis.
- Use only the leaves of vallarai to prepare chutney.
- Fry the leaves well as they give a bitter taste when half fried.