Venpongal is the Simplest breakfast recipe. Also very nutritious too with adding of ghee,pepper,jeera and nuts….We now a days make this recipe using brown rice, broken wheat, millet, Samai, Thenai, Varahu rice,but the taste of venpongal suits excellent for raw rice.
Raw rice – 1 cup
Moong dal -1/2 cup
Cashews -10 to 12
Salt as required
Ghee – 3 tbsp
Jeera – 1 tsp
Peppercorns -1 tsp
Ginger finely chopped -a pinch
Green chillies -3
Curry leaves -1 stick
- Pressure cook Rice and dal with 5 cups of water for 5 whistles.
- Heat 1 tbsp of ghee and fry cashews.keep aside.
- In the same pan add remaining ghee and fry the ingredients given for seasoning and add to the cooked rice and smash it well with a flat spoon adding salt.
- Peppercorns can also be crushed little and added to increase the flavour.
- Salt can also be added when cooking rice and dal in pressure cooker.
- Add little more ghee if you require. I added only 3 tbsp because adding of more ghee gives a feeling of stomach full.