This method of sambar is called as “Arachu vitta Sambar” in tamilnadu which is prepared generally for Idli/Dosa.As I stated earlier Samabr is prepared in many different styles and so South Indian can be even called as land of Sambar varieties. This sambar is prepared without adding onion & garlic.
Toor dal – 1/2 cup
Mixed vegetables (red pumpkin, carrot, radish, potato )-1 cup
Turmeric powder -1/4 tsp
Sambar powder -2 to 3 tsp
Mustard -1/4 tsp
Ghee -1 tbsp
Salt as required
Tamarind -1 gooseberry sized
To fry and grind :
Fenugreek -less than 1/4 tsp
Coriander -1 tsp
Jeera -1 tsp
Dry Red chilli -3
Grated coconut -2 tbsp
Curry leaves -few
Oil -1 tsp
- Wash the dal and pressure cook with the chopped vegetables, tomato, turmeric powder and sambar powder.
- Wash and soak the tamarind and extract the pulp.
- Meanwhile heat oil in a pan, fry the ingredients to grind and make a fine paste using a blender.
- Once the pressure is down, transfer the paste to the cooked dal and add tamarind juice.
- Allow it to boil for about 5 minutes with adding salt.
- Finally add tempering : heat ghee and fry mustard, curry leaves and add to the prepared dal.
|Arachu vitta sambar|
- Take care not to make the paste very fine.
- Do not over boil after adding the grinded paste to pressure cooked dal, as all the ingredients added are fried and cooked already.
- If you require, garnish with chopped coriander leaves.