Thattai payir is also called as Karamani and Cowpea in English. Making sundal is a healthy evening snack for all age groups. Karamani sundal tastes good when prepared with dried form of cowpeas.Health benefits include the reduction of plasma cholesterol levels,rich in antioxidants,good for diabetic patients and also it is low in fat and calories.
Dried cow peas -1 cup
Shallots/onion (Finely chopped) – 1 handfull
Curry leaves -1 stick
Dry & green chillies -5
Grated coconut -1/4 cup
Coriander leaves -2 tsp
Salt as required
Oil -2 tbsp
Mustard -1/4 tsp
Channa dal -1 tsp
Split urad dal -1/4 tsp
- Wash the cowpeas,transfer to a pressure pan and add 3-4 cups of water.
- Pressure cook cowpeas for about 6 whistles and check whether the cowpeas are cooked soft. If not leave for another 1 or 2 whistles.
- Heat oil in a pan and add the ingredients to temper,followed by chopped onions,chillies,curry leaves and saute for a while.
- Add the cooked cowpeas, salt and cook in medium flame till the aroma of tempering spreads evenly.
- Finally add in grated coconut and chopped coriander leaves and serve hot in plates.
- Cooking of cowpeas does not require pre-soaking.
- Do not add salt while cooking in pressure cooker.
- Take care to add required water depending on the variety of cow pea you use, as cooking module varies for each variety.
- Cook the cow peas in the way you do not drain out too much of water to retain the nutrients. I used 3 cups of water and did nor drain even a drop out of it.