Fresh field beans is called as pacha mochai in tamil and biologically termed as Fava bean.They actually belong to a pea family with strong and unique flavor. This bean is shown to be highly nutritious and storehouse of many essential nutrients required by the body. They are rich source of cholesterol lowering fiber. Too much consumption can also cause gastric problems in certain individuals.This bean is widely used in Karnataka and tastes really awesome.
Fresh field beans -1 cp
Red chilli powder -1 tsp
Salt -1/2 tsp
Oil -1/2 cup to deep fry.
1. This is fresh field bean with husk. Now soak in luke warm water for about 2 to 3 hours to dehusk the outer skin.
2. After dehusking the bean has soft glossy look. Spread over the news paper/tissue paper for about 15 minutes under the shade to get air dry for removing any moisture content.
3. Heat oil in a pan and deep fry the dehusked bean in medium flame. do not burn much as they give bitter taste. Remove from oil in this stage as shown in picture and spead over the tissue paper to remove excess oil content.
4. Heat a pan and dry roast red chilli powder and salt for about 3 to 4 minutes in low flame till the raw smell of chilli goes off. Now add the fried bean and saute for a minute in the roasted chilli powder and transfer to a serving bowl.
|Fried field bean – a crispy snack
- This snack can be prepared and stored in air tight containers.
- The red chilli powder is roasted just to avoid the raw smell when added added directly to the fried bean. So do not fry too much.
*Do not get confused with the name of beans as Mochai can be called as Lima bean/Field bean/Hyacinth bean/Lablab bean*
*Botanical Name of Mochai variety what I have used is Dolichos lablab (botanical name)*
Sharing is Caring, So please share