Sivappu thandu keerai is called as Red Amaranth or generally Red spinach in english. This spinach are the richest source of Vitamin A,B6, K and C,also good source of folate and minerals.They are richest source of protein more than 30% in wheat, rich in dietary fiber,amino acid lysine( potential element in cancer treatment). They also boost up the immune system and has many more health benefits.
Red amaranth -1 bunch
Dry chillies -6
Salt as required
Grated coconut -1/4 cup
Mustard -1/4 tsp
Channa dal -1/4 tsp
Split urad dal -1/2 tsp
Oil -2 tbsp
- Clean the spinach from worms or insects if any. Wash and drain out the water completely.
- Finely chop the spinach.
- Heat oil in a thick kadai/pan and add the ingredients to temper.
- Add chopped shallots, dry chillies and saute for a while.
- Add the chopped spinach, cover and cook in low flame for about 5 minutes and add salt required.
- Sprinkle little water and cook until the spinach becomes soft.
- Add grated coconut and transfer to a serving bowl.
- This poriyal serves good for lunch combo with dal fry and rasam.
- Take care not to add more water as the spinach becomes soggy.
- Cover and Cook in low flame with continuous stirring in between.
- Add salt when the spinach is half cooked,because the quantity gets reduced after they are cooked.