Oil – very little (less than 1/4 tsp)
- In a bowl add 1/2 glass of water and cook the tomatoes and tamarind together for about 10 minutes.
- Allow it to cool down and crush well to extract the pulp and squeeze out the waste.
- Now heat oil in a pan,add mustard and let it splutter.
- Then add asafoetida,crushed garlic, shallots, chillies, curry leaves and saute in low flame.
- Once you get the aroma add the tomato water, salt, turmeric powder, chilli powder, rasam powder and add 1 glass of water.
- Now let it boil for about 5 minutes.
- When it starts boiling with bubbles add the chopped coriander leaves and transfer to a serving bowl.
- If you want add a drop of ghee at the end.
- Shallots is optional.
- Do not add more water to boil. Add only the given measurement of water.