Tomatoes are rich in vitamin C and it takes part in our regular food habit.This fruit is available in market throughout the year and the prices are very much affordable too; sometimes we get in a very cheaper rate.Tomato thokku can be prepared in these times and can be stored for about a week. This can also be taken as a side dish for chappathi/roti during travel.
Tomato – 1kg
Whole dry red chillies – 8 to 10
Asafoetida -1 tsp
Red chilli powder -3 tsp
Coriander powder – 4 tsp
Turmeric powder -1/2 tsp
Garlic -2 full
Gingelly oil -6 to 7 tbsp
Salt as required
- Cut half of the tomatoes in big pieces and grind the remaining half.
- Heat oil in thick Kadai/pan and add mustard.Let it splutter.
- Now add the whole garlic pods, red chillies,Asafoetida and just saute. put in the chopped pieces of tomatoes and fry well.
- Once the tomato pieces are cooked mushy add in the grinded tomato paste and red chilli powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder and salt.
- Keep frying in medium flame with continuous stirring. Take care not to get burnt.
- When the tomatoes get cooked to a gravy/pickle form oil starts oozing out.
- In this stage put off the flame and allow it to cool.Now the thokku is ready to serve or carry.