This is a traditional recipe of Tamilnadu and especially in Coimbatore. This is one of regular lunch menu in our place and This dal is also served before sambar in the feast of lunch menu. This recipe tastes awesome with ghee and is very simple to prepare as they require only termpoering not any other process. It is called as uppu paruppu which means salted dal,because we do not add any masalas or even a tomato which is the speciality of this plain dal fry.
Toor dal – 1 cup
Garlic -5 pod
Curry leaves -few
Green chillies -3
Pepper corns -1 tsp
Jeera/cumin seeds -1/2 tsp
Mustard -1/4 tsp
Ghee -2 tsp
Salt as required
Oil -1 tbsp
- Pressure cook the dal with turmeric powder and 3 drops of ghee.
- Smash the dal evenly with a laddle.
- Heat oil in a pan,add mustard,pepper corns and let it splutter.
- Add crushed garlic,chopped green chilies,curry leaves,jeera and saute for a while and add to the smashed dal.
- Now add salt, ghee and let it boil for 2 minutes,just for the tempering flavor to mix.
- Transfer to serving bowl and garnish with coriander leaves.
|Plain dal fry|
- While tempering take care not to get burnt.
- Increase the chillies if you require more spicy.
- After dal is pressure cooked, you can drain the water and keep aside to make rasam.