Pepper – 1/2 cup
- Heat a thick pan/kadai and dry roast red chillies and curry leaves in medium flame for about 2-3 minutes and keep aside.
- Then in the same pan roast the other ingredients one by one (pepper,jeera,Toor dal,asafoetida ) for about 5 minutes maximum and keep aside.
- Spread around,allow it to cool down and grind to a fine powder using a blender.
- Store in an air tight container or in glass bottles and use a tsp when ever you prepare rasam.
- Do not roast with high flame, as they give out burnt smell.
- Keep stirring continuously in low flame for the heat to spread around evenly.
- I use the resin form of asafoetida called as katti perungayam in tamil (I cut them into small pieces and store). You can use powder also but adding resin form gives a vibrant aroma. You can try and feel once.
- For more Rasam rasam recipes click below