Kozhakattai can also be termed as Rice Balls, which is one of the most traditional recipe of South India. This recipe is prepared during the festive of Lord Ganesha Chathurthi. But we own this recipe in our regular breakfast and dinner menus. Usually Kozhakattai is prepared out of white raw rice, but for a slight twist and healthy benefits tried out with Red rice and it perfectly turned out good.
- Wash and soak the rice for about 2 hours before grinding.
- Finely chop the onion,chilli, curry leaves and coriander leaves. Grate the coconut.
- Now grind the rice and coconut together along with water added for soaking to a coarse paste along with salt.(Do not leave it to grind as fine paste)
- Heat oil in a pan, fry Mustard, channa dal, Onion, green chilli,curry leaves, Pepper and jeera.
- Just saute for about a minute and add coriander leaves and add the grinded rice.
- Keep stirring until the rice paste forms balls.(it gets tighter in the way you can make balls)
- Allow it cool down till slightly warm and gently knead the dough and make lemon sized balls.
- Now arrange the balls of dough in idly pan and steam for about 15 minutes
- Serve hot or cold with Pickle or curd.
|Red Rice Balls|
- You can do the same process with Idli rice.
- Take care grinding does not become a fine paste.
- You can also add little grated carrot too.