In tamil,this recipe is called as “Arisimparuppu sadam” and is a traditional form of rice prepared in almost 90% of south kitchen. This is a simple recipe,tasty and very nutritious too with a blend of toor dal, carrot,shallots and ghee. This one pot meal serves to be a best ever recipe for bachelors/spinsters where ever they are…. as ingredients are always available in masala box.
Rice -1 cup
Toor dal -1/4 cup
Garlic -6 pods
Green chilli -2
Dry red chilli -2
Curry leaves -1 stick
Tomato -1 small size
Grated Coconut -2 tbsp
Chilli powder -1 tsp
Turmeric powder – less than 1/4 tsp
Coriander leaves -2 tbsp
Oil -2 tbsp
Ghee -1 tbsp
Mustard -1/4 tsp
Salt as required
Water – 2.5 cups (for Ponni rice I used)
1. Wash rice and dal together and pre-soak for 1/2 an hour.Cut the garlic and shallots into half. slice the chillies and carrot.
2. Heat oil in pressure pan, add mustard and let it splutter.
3. Add shallots, garlic, curry leaves, chillies and saute for a while.
4. Now add chopped tomato, carrot and just saute. Do not cook mushy.
5. Add the soaked rice and dal and pour required water as how you cook the rice generally.
6. Add grated coconut,turmeric powder, chilli powder, carrot,salt and mix well.
7. Close the lid and leave for 2 whistles.
Once the pressure is drown add chopped coriander leaves and spread over the ghee.
8. Mix the rice gently with a flat spatula and transfer to a serving bowl.Serve the rice hot.
- Take care while adding water, for 1 cup rice add 2.5 cup water. Do not pour additional water for Toor dal.
- You can also cook this rice with coconut oil.
- Instead of Toor dal you can also use pigeon pea to cook this rice.
- while mixing the cooked rice finally, take care not to make mushy, so give a gentle mix evenly.
Sharing is Caring, So please share