Beaten rice is called as Aval/Poha/Avalaki.It is available in two varieties red and in white color.Usually Avalaki/ Poha is prepared for the breakfast.This recipe stated is our regular method of cooking aval. The recipe is the same for both white and red variety. Here as a note of health beneficial concern,I used red Aval.
Aval/Avalaki/Poha -1 cup
Grated coconut -1/2 cup
Channa dal -1/4 tsp
Urad dal -1/4 tsp
Green chillies -3
Dry red chilli – 1
Curry leaves -few
Oil -3 tbsp
Coriander leaves to garnish
Salt as required
|Soaked and water drained beaten rice
- Wash and Soak beaten rice for about 5 minutes. and drain out the water completely/Squeeze out water from Aval and transfer in a separate bowl and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan,add mustard and let it splutter.
- Add channa dal, Urad dal and fry until golden brown. To this add chopped onion,chillies, curry leaves, ginger and saute for a minute.
- Add grated coconut and after sauteing for a while, add beaten rice and mix well adding salt.
- Reduce the flame and give a gentle mix in between such that heat spreads evenly.
- Finally garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
- Soaking of beaten rice depends on the variety you use (for eg Soft,Medium,Hard). So check in between by pressing with fingers.
- Take care not to soak much as it becomes soggy.
- Take care while stirring as they become mushy if you stir hard and continuous.
- You can also add ground nut while adding the tempering.
Sharing is Caring, So please share