Beans is a greenish vegetable which are rich in the anti-oxidant properties. They are considered to be one among the safest foods and boost up the cardiovascular effects.It is proved in clinical trial that women who consumes beans in regular diet had fewer cramps and mood swings. All varieties of beans are very good source of Manganese. So add a large handful in your regular stir fry/Salads/pulao/curries.
Beans – 1 cup
Green chillies -2 to 3
Curry leaves -few
Mustard -1/4 tsp
Channa dal -1/2 tsp
Urad dal -1/2 tsp
Chilli powder & Turmeric powder – a pinch (optional)
Oil -3 tbsp
Salt as required
1. Heat the oil in a pan, add mustard and let it splutter. Then add channa dal, Urad dal and fry until golden brown.
2. Now add in the finely chopped shallots,curry leaves, green chillies and saute for 2 minutes.
3. Add the finely chopped beans,salt and stir well. Also put the chilli powder and turmeric powder in this stage if you are adding.
4. Sprinkle little water,cover with a lid and cook in medium flame. Let it cook for about 15 minutes and transfer to a serving bowl once cooked soft.
- Cut both the ends of beans, then wash it and cut into fine pieces.
- Just sprinkle about 1/4 cup of water, do not add more, as beans is a soft vegetable which can be eaten raw/half cooked.
- So, make it half cooked to obtain the nutritional benefit completely.
- Turmeric powder can be added in concern with Anti-microbial property, else you can skip.
- I add in just a pinch to retain the green color of the beans after cooking.
- Adding of grated coconut at the end is optional.