Potato is recommended as one of the worlds healthiest food staple or vegetable crop. They can make an outstanding contribution in our meal plan of both infants and adults. Whether it is mashed,baked or roasted potato is considered to be the comfort food for most of the people. This vegetable is available throughout the year for providing an excellent source of nutrients. They are the greatest source of Vitamin B6 (This is involved in more than 100 enzymatic reaction) and good source of Dietary fiber, ‘potassium, Copper, Manganese, niacin, Vitamin C and many more…… The phytonutrients in potatoes contain antioxidant property. Pediatrician recommend baked/boiled potatoes by the seventh month and hence considered to be the safest food always..
Potato -1 big size
Tomato – 1
Curry leaves -few
Mustard -1/4 tsp
Turmeric powder -1/4 tsp
Chilli powder -1/2 tsp
Oil -2 tsp
Salt as required
Coriander leaves to garnish
1. Heat oil in a pressure pan, add mustard and let it splutter. Then add curry leaves and finely chopped onions and fry well.
2. Wash the potatoes nicely and cut chop the potatoes and tomatoes in big dices.(As shown in the picture). Now add the chopped potato and tomato.
3. Just just saute for a minute and add 2 cups of water, Turmeric powder and salt. Close the lid and pressure cook for about 2 whistles.
4. Once the pressure is down open the lid and smash well the chutney using wooden laddle.
5. Mash the potatoes well using a wooden laddle and taken a cup of it and keep aside. You can use this Fiber rich chutney for infants. After that with the remaining mixture add chilli powder and allow it to boil for 5 minutes and put off the flame.
6. Now garnish with finely chopped coriander leaves and use this chutney for adults as a side dish for idli/dosa.
|Potato Chutney – A side dish for Idli Dosa
- Usually in village traditional cooking we don’t remove the outer skin of the potatoes to obtain its complete health benefits.
- Do not remove the skin of the Potato, as they are highly nutritious and the benefits of potato is completely absorbed when eaten with the skin.
- The potatoes are rich in insoluble fiber only when consumed with skin, stimulating the digestion and improving bowel movements.
- Though potatoes are generally rich in many nutrients eating with skin provides higher amount of protein and carbohydrate.
- Wash the Potatoes cleanly to remove any used/sand present when used with skin for cooking.
- You can also use a blender to grind the chutney,but using a laddle gives the chutney a traditional taste of the chutney.
- This a best and easy method of preparing a nutritional chutney for all age groups.
For infants below 1 year just add drop of oil, saute onions, add potato and tomato, pressure cook with salt and turmeric powder. Smash and just extract water to dip the idli/mix with rice.
Sharing is Caring, So please share