Sweet corn is a starchy vegetable which acts as functional food. Starchy means it is high in carbohydrate content. Functional means it contains multiple nutrients that can bring benefits to the body. When it comes to the dish sweet corn serves as side dish, ingredients in soups and salads and so on…Sweet corn when combined with other food, you can boost up the nutrient content even more.
Basmati Rice – 2 cup
Sweet Corn – 1 cup
Water – 4 cups
Milk -3 tbsp
Ginger – 2 inch size
Garlic -5 pods
Cinnamon – 1 inch
Cloves – 2
Green Chilli – 1
Bay leaf – 2
Onion – 1 big size
Mint leaves -1 cup
Refined oil – 3 tbsp
Ghee – 3 tsp
Salt as required
1. Separate the corn kernels, wash and drain the water removing the debris (waste/dust). Add about 1/2 cup of water and half cook the corn.
2. Soak the cashews with milk for about 15 minutes.
3. Grind the soaked cashews, ginger, garlic, cinnamon, cloves and grind to a fine paste.
4. Heat oil along with 1 tsp of ghee, add sliced green chilli, Bay leaf, cardamon and saute.
5. Then add the thin sliced onions and fry until they turn pink.
6. Then add the grinded paste and saute for about 5 minutes in low flame.
7. Now add the cooked corn and mint leaves and fry well.
8. When the mint leaves started shrinking well add in the washed rice.
9. Add 4 cups of water, salt and mix well.
10. When water starts boiling close the lid and pressure cook in medium flame for 2 whistles. Once the pressure is down open the lid and add remaining ghee.
11. Mix gently such that the corn and rice gets mixed evenly.
12. Transfer to a serving bowl and enjoy with any side dish of your choice.
- Since I used Fresh corn I half cooked the kernels.You can also use tinned corn also.
- The water I have added gives a pulao consistency. If you would like to have the rice cooked more softer add additional 1/2 cup water.
- I prepared a non-vegetarian side dish, So not presented in display.
- You can serve either with any manchurian gravy of your choice.
- Since I wanted a plain corn pulao,I didn’t add more chilli. You can add 2-3 green chillies while grinding.