This is a traditional recipe in our kitchen. Selavu (we call coriander,Cumin,Pepper,Turmeric, Chilly all together as selavu and the box we store in these spices is called as “Selavu Petti” Selavu = Spices and Petti = Box ) woo ff… This is the little story behind this small traditional box. So we can term this English as Plain spices Dal fry, where pressure cooked Dal is done seasoning with the ingredients and boiled for few minutes,smashed well with ladle which gives great aroma and flavor to the Dal.
Toor Dal – 1 cup
Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
Ghee/Castor oil – 2 drops (optional)
Oil -2 tbsp
Dhania/coriander seeds – 1 tsp
Jeera/cumin seeds – 1 tsp
Pepper – 1/2 tsp
garlic -2 pods
Curry leaves -few
Dry red chili – 2
Salt as required
1. Crush the garlic and measure the given ingredients and keep aside.
2. Pressure cook the Dal with ghee/castor oi and turmeric powder.
3. Heat oil in a pan, add all the above measured ingredients and saute twice in low flame.
4. Add to the pressure cooked dal to the tempering/seasoning made and allow it to boil for another 5 minutes.
5. Turn off the stove and smash well with the laddle so that the aroma of spices gets blended evenly along with the Dal.
6. Transfer to a serving bowl and serve hot with Rice or even for Phulka/Chapatti
|Plain Spices Dal fry|
- Do the seasoning in medium/low flame to avoid spices getting burnt.
- Do not add tomato for this dal as the original version is with out tomato and green chilli.
- You can also try my another recipe of a plain dal fry/Uppu paruppu a better side dish for rice.
- Click here for more South Indian Sambar varieties
|Plain Spices Dal Fry|