A plate of hot served Bonda along with a cup of coffee in the chill evening is a better combination. Like tomatoes potato is one among my favorite veggie and I really love to eat when prepared in any form of dishes. The recipe of bonda given is completely of South Indian style and purely my choice of ingredients with less spice and no masala….
I prepared this in concern for my 2 year old kid.
Potato (Pressure cook & peel off skin) – 3
Onion finely chopped -2
Ginger – 1/2 inch
Curry leaves -few
Green chillies – 2
Red chilli powder – 1 tsp
Salt – 1 tsp
Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
Coriander leaves -few
Oil – 2 tsp
Gram flour – 1 cup (100gm)
Water – 1.5 cup
Cooking soda – a pinch
Red chilli powder – 2 tsp
Garam masala – 1/2 tsp (optional)
Salt – 1/2 tsp
Oil for deep frying
1. Heat oil in a wok/kadai, add the chopped onion,ginger, curry leaves and fry well until the onions are translucent. Then add coriander leaves and put off the flame.
2. Meanwhile in a wide bottom vessel add the ingredients under to make batter and mix well. The batter should be in consistency of free flowing.
3. Now add the boiled potatoes to the saute onions and smash well.
4. To this ass turmeric powder, chilli powder and salt.
5. Smash well until all ingredients gets mixed evenly.
6. Now make a fine balls of lemon size and keep aside.
7. Heat oil in a kadai.
8. Put the potato balls into the prepared batter.
9. Once the oil to hot add the dipped balls into it and deep fry.
10. Now the simple potato bonda is ready to serve.
- Add green chillies while frying. I just always skip in concern with preparing for kids. Instead I use spice powders.
- Do not add more of garam masala as it changes the original gram flour taste.
- I used besan/gram flour from patanjali which stayed as fine coating on potatoes.
- The batter should not be too watery or thick.
- Check the water measurement and sprinkle little if required more.
- My actual preparation of batter was by adding 1.5 cup. Since there was left over batter I have given 1 cup for 3 potatoes.
- When adding the balls into oil keep the flame in simmer and then increase after adding to get bonda fried evenly.
Sharing is Caring, So please share