The seeds are rich in protein and are oldest cultivated legume. They are also called as Bengal gram or gram.There are three colors of chickpeas available (black -Desi, Kabuli – light colored, green – common in Maharashtra). You can use any variety of chick pea to prepare this sundal. This is also one among the traditional method of preparing sundal, but just sprinkled chilli powder to enhance flavor of spice.
Chick Pea/ Kabuli Channa / Konda kadalai – 3/4 cup
Shallots – 8-9 (thin sliced)
Green chilli – 1
Red chilli powder – 1/4 tsp
Salt – 1/2 tsp
Curry leaves – few
Mustard – 1/4 tsp
Channa dal – 1/4 tsp
Urad dal – 1/4 tsp
Coriander leaves – To garnish
Oil -1 tbsp
1. Wash and soak the chick peas for about 8 hours or overnight.
2. Pressure cook by adding 1/4 tsp of salt for 4-5 whistles and drain the excess water out.
3. Heat oil, splutter mustard and fry channa dal, urad dal.
4. Add onions, curry leaves, slit green chilli and also red chilli powder.
5. Add the pressure cooked chick peas and sprinkle remaining 1/4 tsp salt and saute in low flame.
6. Now after 5-6 minutes add the coriander leaves.
7. Saute for about minute and put off the flame.
8. Transfer to a bowl.
- The amount of oil added should be for frying onions.
- As we are not adding coconut at the end, adding more oil goes extra and appears glossy.
- Adding chilli powder gives different flavor from our regular method of preparing sundal.
- Also check here for Pigeon Pea Sundal, Dried Cow pea sundal
|Chick Pea Sundal
Sharing is Caring, So please share