Curry Leaves rice / Karuvepillai saadham is a recipe which I wanted to cook from long back. Because am not fond of curry leaves pick up some reason and postponing the recipe. Like mint, I can take this curry leaves rice only when cooked/prepared along with some tangy ingredient. But there is NO SUBSTITUTE for the amazing health benefits of curry leaves. So o other go I have to make this into practice of eating habits for my son.
As per the article from Times of India,
- Curry leaves are packed store house of fiber, iron, calcium, carbohydrates and multivitamins
- They promote helping in heart function, enliven your hair and skin with vitality.
- It also improves digestion,lowers the level of bad cholesterol in the body.
- Because they are the richest source of iron and folic acid, they tend to keep anemia at bay.
- Folic acid is not actually iron but it is mainly responsible for carrying and helping absorption of iron into body.
- Since curry leaves are the rich source of both compounds, it is your one step natural remedy to beat anemia.
Rice – 2 cups
Water – 5 cups (to cook rice)
Gingely / Sesame oil – 5 tbsp
Cashews – 8
Ghee – 1 tsp
Roast and Grind:
Curry leaves – 1 bowl full
Channa dal / Split gram dal – 2 tsp
Roasted gram dal / Pottukadalai – 1 tbsp
Urad dal – 1 tsp
Coriander seeds – 1 tsp
Dry red chillies -4-5
Peppercorns – 1 tsp
Tamarind – lemon size ball
Crystal salt – 1 tbsp
1. Pressure cook the rice with 5 cups of water for 2 whistles.
2. Once pressure is down transfer to a wide bowl and separate using fork to avoid any lumps formed.
3. Wash the curry leaves and drain the water.
4. Heat a tsp of gingelly oil and roast the dals, pepper and chillies.
5. Fry until golden brown.
6. Add the cleaned curry leaves and fry well for about 2 minutes.
7. Now add salt and tamarind and fry well in medium flame.
8. Let the curry leaves become little crispy.
9. Allow it to cool down and grind to a coarse powder.
10. Add the ground powder. Also fry the cashews in ghee and add to it.
11. Add the remaining gingely oil and mix well. You can also toss the vessel for the rice to get mixed instead using spoon.
12. Transfer to a serving bowl. Cucumber raita would be a better choice for this type of variety rice,
- The leaves should be dried off completely. Also take care not to roast the leaves too much.This will remove the aroma of curry leaves.
- Do not completely cool the rice,this would make more stiffness to the cooked rice when we mix the ground powder.
- Adding gingelly oil when mixing is most important because that would give a soft texture.
- Tossing the vessel to mix the ingredients will prevent the rice getting soggy.
- Use ghee only for roasting cashews,for remaining usage prefer sesame oil.
- Cucumber raita would be best choice for this type of strong flavored variety rice.
|CURRY LEAVES RICE
Sharing is Caring, So please share