Red Sorghum is called as Sivappu chollam and is one of the traditional grain which has wide range of health benefits. It is really advisable to grind these type of healthy batter at-least weekly once whenever we grind Idli/Dosa batter. Though we feel Idli is healthy and soft diet, these type of healthy recipes are required to be added in our diet at times to balance the mechanical life style with beneficial mineral and vitamin rich diet.
Health Benefits of Red Sorghum:
- This cereal is found to be the richest source of Vitamin B6, Riboflavin,Thiamine along with other minerals like potassium, magnesium, iron and manganese.
- They are found to be the good storehouse of dietary fiber which helps in easy bowel movement preventing constipation.
- Sorghum is found to be the protein rich and gluten-free diet.
- Controls cholesterol level thereby supporting good cholesterol levels,because sorghum is found to have a wax coating that manifests a compound called as policosanols (these reduces level of cholesterol and promotes a healthy heart)
- The bran of certain sorghum is found to have the biological function which is important in insulin resistance and diabetes.
Red Jowar/Sivappu chollam – 1.5 cup
Ragi – 1/2 cup
Red Rice – 1 cup
Urad dal – 1/2 cup
Fenugreek seed – 1 tsp
Salt – 1 tbsp
1. Wash and soak all the ingredients (except salt) given above for about 8 hours or even overnight.
2. Grind it using a grinder. Add required water while grinding.
3. Let it grind until very smooth. Hope he consistency in the picture would be clear to make out.
4. Transfer to a bowl, add salt and mix well and let it stand for 6-8 hours for fermentation.
5. You can find the batter fermented as shown. Mix well evenly.
6. Heat a dosa tawa and spread a scoop of batter and spread evenly. Drizzle little oil over it.
7. Flip the other side and let it cook crispy.
8. Serve hot with spicy chutney of your choice.
|Sivappu cholla dosai
- This dosa would not as crispy as normal rice dosa but comparatively more healthier.
- You can also add additional cereals and grains and grind the batter.
- Adding of spices like jeera, pepper, curry leaves, dry red chilli, Asafoetida (hing) depends on your choice.
- I prefer grinding with above spices, but sometimes grinding plain would be inviting.
- This dosa tastes better with spicy chutney like
- Coconut Chutney
- White coconut chhutney
- Tomato brinjal chutney
- Kaara chutney/Onion kaara chutney
- Red chilli/Kaara chutney
|RED SORGHUM DOSA
Sharing is Caring, So please share