Kachayam is the traditional sweet recipe of South India,mainly in the regions of Tamilnadu. The simple recipe of Kachayam is blend with ripen bananas and all purpose flour (maida) along with added sugar for its sweetness, but the recipe posted here is quite twist with soaked whole wheat grinded along with the aroma of jaggery and fried to make perfect balls of sweet which can be stored even for about a week which gives an add-on taste to the recipe. I prefer doing this method of kachayam in order to skip the usage of maida and white sugar. Also this would be a healthy and easy step I follow whenever I grind for whole wheat dosa. ( So I always soak additional cup of wheat during that time)
Whole Wheat – 1 cup
Jaggery – 1/4 kg
Wheat Rava (optional) – as required
Oil for deep frying
Method of preparation :
- Soak whole wheat and grind along with jaggery.
- The batter should be of thick consistency.
- If its loose then add soaked wheat rava else add the rava,mix well and soak (step 8& 9)
- Take fine balls and deep fry in oil.
Step-wise pictures :
( step 8 and 9 is followed when you are not getting below shown consistency)
- Take care the flame while frying not to be too low or high or even medium too. The flame should be little high than medium.
- Else the app am tend to absorb more oil and uneven frying resulting color change.
- I used coconut oil for extra flavor of the sweet. You can use normal refined oil too.
- When you take care to grind with adequate water you does not require the step 8 and 9.
- The water quantity depends on grinding consistency so kiddy take care as it varies.
Visit the link for more Whole Wheat Recipes