Wheat is considered to be the less carbohydrate food and is also a staple grain of North India. This has prevailed its benefits in South too and is believed to be a simple and healthy platter. This type of Poha/Avalaki recipes are found to be an authentic and a healthy breakfast. Its diabetic and diet friendly too.
Wheat Poha/ Godhumai Aval- 1 bowl
Shallots/onion – 1/4 cup sliced
Curry leaves – few
Mustard – 1/4 tsp
Grated coconut – 1/4 cup
Channa dal – 1/4 tsp
Urad dal – 1/4 tsp
Green chilli & Red chilli -1 each
Coriander leaves – To garnish
Salt – 1/2 tsp
Oil -1 tbsp
- Soaking is an important step in preparing this recipe of poha/Aval/Avalaki
- Do not squeeze much to drain the water,just give a gentle press using your palm.
- Take care not to fry the coconut into golden brownish as they tend to give a fried flavor.
- You can also add cashews while frying the dals.
- Adding salt has to be done in two steps which gives even spreading and taste.