Dal is said to be the generic name of lentils. Though we use toor dal in regular cooking, masoor dal would be a light and easy choice to cook. Masoor dal can also be called as pink dal and the recipe posted here would be simple for regular cooking. This dal can be used in combination with pigeon pea/toor dal and cal be combined with other dals too for preparing dal fry recipes. Masoor dal is available in two varieties whole masoor dal(with black outer cover) used for preparing dal makhani and here I used is split variety. This would be a better combo for rice,phulka, roti and chapati.
Masoor dal – 1 cup
Onion – 1
Tomato – 1
Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
Mustard – less than 1/4 tsp
Jeers/cumin seeds – 1/4 tsp
Chillies (Green and red) – 2
Ginger – 1/4 inch
Garlic – 2 pods
Red chilli powder – 1/2 tsp
Oil – 1 tbsp
Salt – 1 tsp
Ghee/castor oil – two drops to cook dal
Water – about 1/2 cup
Method of Preparation:
- Cook the lentil/dal soft adding turmeric powder and ghee/castor oil.
- Fry mustard, Jeera, onion, chillies, crushed ginger&garlic.
- Add Red chilli powder, followed by tomatoes.
- Cook mushy and add cooked dal, salt and 1/2 cup water.
- Let it boil until right consistency.
- Serve hot.
Step-wise pictures :
- You can also use the pressure cooker to cook the dal.
- We have a tradition of using castor oil while cooking dals, you can also use ghee instead.
- Cooking dal in open vessel with added oil gives a vibrant color and texture to make a perfect rasam.
- Add a tomato while cooking dal. Here dal water is extracted along with tomato which can be used for making rasam.
This is how dal water is extracted along with tomato. Click the link to know about preparing traditional way of preparing rasam using the dal.