Citron (Citrus medica) is a species of citrus fruit. We can also call it as a variety of lemon. The difference is lemon has thin rind whereas citron has a thick rind. The sour taste of the juice also slightly varies lemon is little milder sour when compared to citron/Narthangai. It is said to be the traditional variety to be used with amazing health benefits when compared to lemon. Usually I dont like citron taste so I prefer lemon, but after marriage my mom used to bring so much of fruits from our field and will store in my fridge. No way I have to use it off (as I generally don’t waste food stuffs). My husband started liking it more than lemon,as days passed the taste seems to be quite better than lemon and now I love it As a mom, with health concern I started carrying the fruit regularly. Big story for a small fruit.Thanks for reading… Lets move on for recipe
Cooked Rice – 2 cup
Citron/ Narthangai – 1
Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
Salt -2 tsp
Coriander leaves – 1 tsp
Cashews – 4-5
Mustard – 1/4 tsp
Channa dal/gram dal – 1 tsp
Split urad dal – 1/2 tsp
Chillies (green& red ) – 3-4
Curry leaves – few
Method of Preparation:
- Extract juice from citron fruit without seeds
- Add salt and turmeric powder to that juice.
- Pour over the rice and mix well. Keep aside
- Heat oil and fry cashews+ mustard and all ingredients given under seasoning.
- Add in to the rice.
- Now heat the pan containing rice in low flame to get an even finish.
Step wise picture of Citron Rice :
- Squeezing of lemon would be quite easy when compared to citron fruit. So use can use a juice extractor.
- Also squeezing by hand will make the juice little bitter, so take care that water content in the outer layer not to mix much with the juice.
- Adding a tsp/tbsp of ghee as per your requirement gives a vibrant taste to the rice.
- Also using of groundnut oil for variety rice will give a fine texture to the recipe