Kesari is one of the simple sweet recipe which can be prepared at all occasions. Also this recipe of making kesari using vermicelli/Semiya does not require much of ghee like other kesari recipes. I here used the roasted variety of vermicelli, you can also use the plain/normal one too,but you need additional few minutes to roast golden brown and evenly.
Vermicelli / Semiya – 1 cup
Sugar – 1/2 cup
Water – 1 and half cup
Cardamom powder – 1/4 tsp
Cashews – 5-6
Raisin – few
Ghee- 3 tsp
Food color (orange ) – a pinch
Method of Preparation :
- Roast cashews+raisin in a tsp of ghee.
- In same pan roast vermicelli until golden brown, add water and cook soft.
- Add in sugar,mix well and cook + diluted food color
- Add roasted cashews and raisin, tsp of ghee and cardamom powder.
- Serve hot
Stepwise picture of Semiya Kesari :
- Roasting of vermicelli depends on the variety you use (available in thin variety,roasted, thick non roasted)
- Water content varies depending on variety of vermicelli we use. You can adjust water accordingly.
- Sugar can also be adjusted depending on your preference. I prefer medium sweetness.
- You can also crush whole cardamom using a tsp of sugar and add. I used the powder made using the seeds as I always store.
- Take care to add sugar after the vermicelli is cooked,else they tend to become rubbery/harden/thick.
- Serve hot for a fine taste.