Ragi vermicilli / Ragi semiya is a healthy alternate in breakfast or dinner menu in most of the South Indian kitchen. Ragi is called as Finger millet and area said to be the power house of proteins, minerals and amino acids,which is said to be one of the most healthy cereals. Ragi tends to be the foremost grain in weight reduction when compared to all millets. Even though India is the highest producer of ragi, only very few Indians know about its health benefits and nutritional values. Ragi is the first millet introduced in the form of porridge for infants after 6 months. Click the link to know detailed step for preparing baby/infant porridge using Ragi/finger millet.
For list of Infant/baby recipes : Click here
Ragi vermicelli – 2 cups
Onion/shallot – 1/4 cup sliced
Chillies (Dry& green ) – 2 each
Curry leaves – few
Ginger – 1 inch finely chopped
Grated coconut – 1/4 cup
Salt – as required
Coriander leaves – to garnish
Oil – 3 tbsp
Ghee – 1 tsp
Mustard – 1/4 tsp
Channa/ split gram dal – 1 tsp
Urad dal – 1/2 tsp
Method of Preparation :
- Soak vermicilli in water for 8 minutes (check for its softness as shown in picture below)
- Drain the soaked vermicilli, add salt and mix well.
- Steam in a pan for 5-7 minutes.
- Spread on plate and fluff it using fork preventing from sticking to each other
- Heat oil in a pan, fry mustard, channa dal, urad dal and fry golden brown
- Add onion, chopped ginger, curry leaves, chillies and fry
- Also add grated coconut and required salt
- Add the steamed vermicelli and mix gently in low flame.
- Garnish with coriander leaves
Step by picture of Ragi Vermicilli :
1.Measure ragi vermicelli in a wide vessel/bowl
2. Pour water to immersing level and let it soak for 8-10 minutes
3. Take few strands after 5-7 minutes hold and press using your thumb to check softness
4. The strands would get smashed softly
5. Drain the vermicelli out from water,sprinkle some salt and mix well
6. Set the steamer ready to cook the vermicelli
7. Spread the soaked vermicelli evenly on the plate
8. Cover with lid and let it cook for 5-7 minutes
9. Put off the flame. Spread on to wide plate,fluff it using fork
10. Heat oil in a pan, add mustard and let it splutter. Then add channa dal & urad dal
11. Let it fry golden brown
12. Add sliced onions, chillies, curry leaves, chopped ginger
13. Add grated coconut and fry for a minute. (do not make it brown, just you should get the aroma)
14. Add the steamed ragi vermicelli and sprinkle little salt too
15. Mix well gently without forming clumps
16. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves
17. Give a gentle toss and serve hot with curd or even raita
- Do not over soak it or over cook the vermicelli, as this results the vermicelli smudged
- During steaming process you can also spread a tsp of oil to prevent sticking/smudging
- Take care to fry the coconut until you get only fine aroma. Just less than a minute would do for this step.
- This is the simple recipe which can be followed in regular cooking.
- Adding of veggies and nuts depends according to our wish and availability.