Raw papaya / Green papaya benefits the health in several ways. Its mainly aids in digestion, hence called as powerful fruit full of essential nutrients and enzymes to promote digestive health. They involve in converting proteins into amino acids. Green papaya are not that popular compared to ripped ones. However green papayas are difficult to eat raw and hence need to be cooked where it also tastes different.
Click here for another version of papaya gravy/curry for roti/chapati
Raw / Green Papaya – 1 cup
Onions – 1 big chopped
Ginger – 1/2 inch finely chopped
Tomato – 1
Jeera/cumin seeds – 1 tsp
Red chilli powder – 1 tsp
Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
Coriander powder – 1.5 tsp
Garam Masala / Subji masala – 1 tsp
Crystal salt – 1 tsp
Method of Preparation :
- Heat oil + add cumin seeds + Ginger + Onion + tomato
- Add all spice powders
- Put in chopped raw papaya pieces.
- Add water and salt.
- Cook until soft in medium flame.
Step-wise picture of Raw papaya Curry :
1.Chop the onions, tomato, chill and ginger
2. Heat oil in a kadai, Add Jeera,chopped ginger, fry onion along with slit chillies
3. Once onion turns translucent add chopped tomatoes and let it cook.
4. Add turmeric powder, Red chilli powder, garam masala powder and coriander powder
5. Let it cook until spice powder gets blended with tomato and raw smell goes off
6. Add the chopped raw papaya and mix well
7. Add water and salt. Cover and cook in medium flame.
8. Give a fine stir in between and let it cook until soft.
9. Serve with hot roti/chapati/phulka of your choice.
- Cook in medium flame to retain the nutrients of the vegetable.
- You can visit the raw papaya gravy/curry posted previously. Click here for the recipe.
- I chopped raw papaya in medium pieces. You cal also chop into fine pieces.
- If you are not adding Cumin seeds then add cumin/jeera powder, this gives extra flavor for the gravy.
- Do not add coriander powder too much than the given measurement.
- If you wish, garnish with chopped coriander leaves.