Bittergourd Stir fry or Pavakkai Poriyal is one of the vegetable which helps in deworming our body naturally. As you all know Alpendazole is the medication used in for the treatment of variety of parasitic worm infestations. Though there are many natural remedies to keep the stomach free and clean from parasites BITTER GOURD is one among the list of ingredients which helps to deworm. I will give a detailed picture of other simple ingredients and steps for deworming our system naturally.
Never skip bitter gourd in the diet of your child. I started introducing bitter gourd for my son in his 9th month (I chose 9th month because doctor suggested me to introduce nonveg foods from then. So with a feel that little tummy is growing to feel the next level of taste and changes and tried bitter gourd too Happy…….my son ate because I just introduced him but did not feed him. Also too much of bitter gourd even for elders is not good so always feed your child a small portion. Over consumption of bitter gourd causes diarrhea and abdominal pain. Pregnant women consult with your doctor as bitter gourd may cause pre-labor.
This recipe is of my MIL style of preparation.
Bitter gourd – 2
Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
Red chilli powder – 1/4 tsp
Salt – 1 tsp
For Tempering/ seasoning :
Oil – 1 tbsp
Mustard – 1/4 tsp
Channa dal – 1/2 tsp
Urad dal – 1/4 tsp
Dry red chillies – 2-3
Curry leaves – 1 spring
Method of Preparation:
- Deseed the bitter gourd and slice them into fine pieces
- Heat oil in pan, add the ingredients given under seasoning
- Add the chopped bittergourd
- Cover and cook. After 5 minutes add spice powders along with salt
- Again cover with tightly covered lid (just above the vegetable) and cook
- Give fine stir in between.
- Add grated coconut.
Step-wise pictures of Bitter gourd stir fry :
1.Wash,chop the ends of bitter gourd and cut into half then deseed them
2. Chop them into thin slices and put in water
8. Mix well
15. Just serve with hot rice or as side dish for curd/ rasam
- The recipe takes about 40 minutes to get prepared when cooked in low flame.
- When introducing for infants/babies use the cooked/boiled/steamed variety not the fried one.
- If you find its getting stick to pan just sprinkle water.
- Take care to position of covering with lid tightly.
- When there is space between vegetable and lid the steam /vapour formed tend to make the fry soggy