Brinjal fry using groundnut is a traditional recipe of Andra, where most of Andra cuisine contains groundnut in their regular cooking. But when we see the dishes prepared in Tamilnadu the use of whole groundnut in regular cooking is comparatively less instead they us groundnut oil for their cooking which can balance the nutrition required by ground nut. Yes…. the reason and comparing the usage of ground nut here is because of its essential health benefits. Oils take not only a main part in cooking but also in our health. The main function called lubrication is provided to our joints only through the good cholesterol that we intake in our food. When we use refined oils the cholesterol benefits is extracted out and what we use is the residue behind.Regular diet without a cholesterol intake results in joint pains in our later stages.The reason to point out this is if you are using refined oils try to add adequate quantity of groundnut in your diet which can supply/ balance the cholesterol required by our body, else replace ground nut oil in cooking for a healthy go……:-)
Bad cholesterol is LDL (Low Density Lipoproteins) and Good cholesterol is HDL (High density Lipoproteins)
Brinjal / Egg plant – 5
Dry red chill – 2
Ajwain / Omam /carom seeds – less than 1/4 tsp
Fenugreek/ Vendhayam seeds – less than 1/4 tsp
Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
Red chilli powder – 3/4 tsp
Groundnut – 2 tbsp
Coriander leaves – 1 tbsp
Oil – 2 tbsp
Salt – 1/2 tsp
Method of Preparation:
- Choose tender brinjal /eggplant, and cut into thin slices
- Heat oil in a pan, add ajwain, dry chill, fenugreek.
- Saute and add the turmeric and chill powder.
- Now add in the sliced brinjal. Cover and cook them in medium flame.
- Meanwhile dry roast groundnut and make a coarse powder and keep aside.
- Keep stirring until the brinjals are cooked evenly. When they are half cooked add the salt.
- Once completely cooked add the powdered groundnut and garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
Stepwise picture for Brinjal / Egg plant fry :
1.Select the tender variety of brinjals
- Cook in low flame as we do not add water for this recipe.
- Groundnut can be adjusted according to our requirement.
- Use tender brinjals as they cooked faster and evenly.
- Because it is non-stick pan I have added just 1 tbsp of oil. If using other type of wok/ pan add 2-3 tbsp of oil as the brinjal is cooked in the oil added.