Preparing different types of side dishes for Roti/Chappathi would be great challenge and happy to feel while serving. Though we crave for restaurant style of gravies and oil floating curries on one side on other side we would think something healthy and simple gravies using regular dals or lentils readily available in kitchen
Lentils gravy or cowpeas gravy with a blend of moth beans would be totally a different choice and healthy palate of side dish for chapatis. This recipe combination happened to be tried when I had fewer quantity of both dals and wanted to finish up to clean my container. The moth beans is comparatively smaller than cow pea and gets cooked faster, which gives a combination taste of gravy and lentils in each spoon of gravy we serve.
In this same method you can prepare all types of grains/dal/ cereals/lentils whichever left over in your store room.
Cow pea/ Thattai payir – 1/4 cup
Moth beans / Nari payir – 1/4 cup
Onion – 1
Green chilli – 2
Ginger – 1/2 inch
Garlic – 6 pods crushed
Tomato – 1 big size
Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp (1/4 while frying, 1/4 after adding water)
Red chilli powder – 1 tsp
Coriander powder – 3/4tsp
Garam masala – 1/2 tsp
Jeera / cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
Coriander leaves – a handful
Salt – 1.5 tsp
Oil- 3 tbsp
Method of Preparation :
- Soak the lentils together for about 6 hours or overnight.
- Pressure cook for 4 whistles.
- Heat oil in thick pan add Jeera/cumin seeds and let it splutter.
- Add slit chilles, chopped ginger and onion. Let it fry transparent
- Add finely chopped tomatoes and crushed garlic.
- Put the spice powders and fry until raw smell goes off.
- Now add the cooked lentils.
- Add sufficient water along with salt.
- cover with lid and let it cook in medium flame.
- THe gravy starts thickening and this stage garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with roti and along with Radish salad.
Stepwise Picture for Lentils Gravy preparation :
1. Soak the cow pea or thattaipayir about 6 hours or overnight.
2. Pressure cook for about 4 whistles
3. Finely chop onions,tomatoes, slit the chillies, chop the ginger
6. Add the spice powders
7. Now add cooked lentils
- This recipe tastes perfect with a combination of both lentils/grain. You can also use either of one too for preparing this gravy.
- Adding garlic along with tomato gives nice flavor, so do not add in oil along with ginger.
- Garlic enhances better digestion of these lentils when cooked for dinner. So do not compromise the quantity
- Fry the spice powder in low flame as they tend to burn easily.
- I prefer to serve these type of gravies either with raita or salads. Here I have combined with radish salad