Millets (sirudhaaniyam ) are traditional, authentic and smallest grain with abundant health benefits.Compared to use of rice in regular diet consuming millets will show a profound change in our health. Here I have given the measurement for cooking Saamai. There are two varieties in saamai (boiled and raw). I used the boiled saamai. Saamai is called as little milllet in English.
Saamai (either boiled/Raw) – 1 cup
Water – 3 cups
Method of Cooking :
- Clean the millets to remove if any grits in it.
- Wash, add water and let it cook.
- Cover with a lid and cook in medium flame for about 8-10 minutes.
- Rest it aside for about another 10 minutes for the millets to get softer.
- Fluff it with fork and serve with usual sambar, rasam and curd.
Step-wise Pictures :
1.Measure the Saamai / Little millet
2.Wash millets,add water and let it cook in medium flame.
3. Cover and Cook for about 10 minutes and put off the flame.
4. Rest it aside for another 10 minutes for the millets to become softer.
5. Cook until soft, that the cooked millets are not mushy and sticky
6. Saamai rice can be served with regular South Indian side dishes
- You can also cook the millets in pressure cooker.
- For 1 cup of rice add 2.5 cup water and pressure cook for 2 whistles or as per your preference
- When you cook millets in open pan,give a fine stir in between to get cooked evenly.
- Serve with regular south Indian Sambar, Rasam and poriyal and finish with a perfect curd combination.