Sugarcane has been my favorite since my childhood where me and sissy bounce to the happiness when the harvesting time arrives in our field. The harvesting of sugarcane will take about a month in our field and the troop of workers move to near by farm. After harvesting we do process sugarcane juice for making Jaggery. Not in cups we take a big vessel with few slices of ginger and sometimes with lemon else combination of both. Nowadays the sugarcane is not sweet at all I can say. Everything has lost its quality where sugarcane is no exception in the list After drinking the juice, workers carry a big gallon for jaggery preparation. After finishing the juice we end up with a satisfied burp That is why its recommended to eat sugarcane after a heavy meal. Now we take a long piece of sugarcane applied with coconut oil to roll out the boiling jaggery 5 minutes before they take out the wide pan from the fire. We keep waiting there narrating tales with the workers and really missing those days and sugarcane field This post can be of small dedication to the workers,from whom I learnt the recipe.
Health Benefits :
- The best part of sugarcane juice is they have low GI (Glycemic index)
- So they are found to be the best friend of diabetic patients (To taste even a sip of sweetness gives a heavenly feel for diabetic patients). So cane juice will not alter the blood sugar levels like white sugars and hence can be consumed in adequate/moderate portion and enjoy sweetness.
- Sugarcane aids in proper digestion even after a heavy meal and tend to give a better relief from acidity.
- They helps to wash out the body toxins and also plays a vital role in reducing bad cholesterol.
- Helps to rehydrate and moisturize the body/skin thus giving a glow.
- They are loaded with vital nutrients, rich in iron, calcium, vitamins, proteins and antioxidants.
- Home made and freshly prepared sugarcane juices are better providing the required nutrients.
- The machine used to crush the juice in roadside stalls found to have much of oil for smooth operation and may not be checked periodically, hence results in stomach problems.
- Freshly prepared is always inviting because sugarcane juice can serve as best culture media for various microorganisms to grow.
- Also check for the good/fresh variety of sugarcanes, as they tend to be affected with red rotten disease easily
Sugarcane – 2 bowl
Lemon juice – 1/4 tsp
Ginger – 1/4 inch
Method of preparation:
- Take a sugarcane and scratch the outer skin using knife.
- Cut them into small pieces.
- Add in blender and bring along with ginger.
- Strain the juice using filter and add the lemon juice while serving.
- Perfect sugarcane juice is ready to serve.
Stepwise preparation of Sugarcane juice :
1.Scratch the skin ad chop the cane into small dices and add into mixer jar.
- Use either a knife to scratch the outer layer of sugarcane.
- We do it with Koduval (A Traditional instrument used for breaking coconut in fields)
- Do not add water while grinding as the sweetness quality of canes are too low nowadays.
- Usually rather than a juice, I love to bite, tear off the outer skin and enjoy the sweetness of cane by chewing.
- After eating you feel the stickiness to extreme which is the proof of sweetness of sugarcanes. Its been a decade I felt the originality of sugarcanes.