Thambli is a Mangalorian cuisine which I learnt from a neighbor aunty from the native of Mangalore. She is very health concern, has authentic flavors in her dishes, follows simple steps in the recipes she make and finish up with an authentic touch Thanks Shoba aunty for sharing this such a wonderful recipe which my son started loving the most and for my hubby who never touches the buttermilk, this recipe with blend of pepper and jeera is a great gift. Am yet to learn from her many more Mangalore cuisines and she is so sweet enough to share all her recipes with me to carve here in my space
This buttermilk/Thambli is prepared using Ajwain/Karpooravalli/Omam leaves which is scientifically called as Plectranthus amboinicus
Curd – 1 cup
Water – 3 cups
Ajwain/Karpooravalli/Omam leaves – 7-8 (I had only 3 leaves in my plant)
Pepper – 5
Jeera/ Cumin seeds – 2 pinches
Grated coconut – 1 tsp
Ghee – 1/4 tsp (divide into 2 portions)
Curry leaves – few
Mustard – 2 pinches
Salt – as required
Method of Preparation :
- Churn / Blend the curd into a butter milk.
- Add water and mix well
- Finely chop the leaves
- Heat 1 portion of ghee in pan, fry well the ajwain leaves
- Now add Pepper, Jeera, grated coconut + fry
- Grind and add into buttermilk, add salt and mix
- Do the seasoning with remaining ghee+mustard+curry leaves
Stepwise Picture for preparing Thambli :
1. Churn the curd into buttermilk adding the given quantity of water
13. Heat remaining ghee for seasoning mustard and curry leaves
- This method of Thambli recipe can be prepared using other green leafy vegetables or all varieties of spinach.
- Also other ingredients like just ginger, Methi/fenugreek seeds,curry leaves, Bittergourd can also be prepared in this method
- I will post the pictures of recipe using other ingredients in my later posts.
- This would be an inviting drink during summer and also suits for all other climate too.
- Because of its blended pepper and Jeera, Thambli doesn’t impart any cold effect in our body.