Certain vegetables are good and healthy when combined or cooked together. I was surprised when my nephew told that its always good to cook a root vegetable along with a shoot vegetable to be free from formation of gastritis. Am not sure about the truth behind this but his teacher had told and now its more than a decade I heard this information, but no data to prove other than a belief behind our traditional recipe of preparing Potato brinjal fry and carrot beans fry, cabbage carrot fry…also we do not peel off potato skin in the authentic kitchen of our family. Cooking potato with its skin has wide range of health benefits. Lets move on to carrot beans stir fry recipe.
Carrot – 1
Beans – 10 nos
Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
Chilli powder – 1/4 tsp
Salt – 3/4 tsp
Water – 2-3 tbsp
Grated coconut – 1 tbsp
Oil – 1 tbsp
Mustard – 1/4 tsp
Channa dal / Gram dal – 1/2 tsp
Split Urad dal – 1/4 tsp
Dry Chillies – 2 or 3
Shallots – 4-5 finely chopped
Curry leaves – 1 spring
Method of Preparation :
- Finely chop the carrot and beans.
- Heat oil and do the seasoning + Add chopped veggies
- Mix well, cover and cook in low flame
- Add spice powder and salt, sprinkle the water.
- Again cover and cook until soft.
- Add grated coconut mix and serve along with Rasam saadham or in lunch meal.
Step-wise preparation of Carrot beans stir fry :
1.Heat oil and add mustard. Let it splutter
3. When golden brown add shallots, chillies and curry leaves
4. Now add chopped beans and carrot
5. Mix well. cover and cook for 2 minutes
6. Add spice powders along with salt and sprinkle water.
7. Again cover and cook in low flame until soft
8. Add grated coconut
9. Stir less than a minute and put off the flame
10. Serve hot with Rasam or lunch meal
- You can also cook the veggies in steamer and add a seasoning along with grated coconut.
- Carrot and beans can either be cooked separate or combined together but same procedure can be followed.
- Adding coconut is optional as the south Indian Stir fry/ Poriyal is end up with adding a tsp of coconut
- You can also add about 3 tbsp of water for cooking the vegetable, else the vapor formed after closing would be sufficient for the vegetables to get cooked.
- Serve along with a lunch meal or just mix with plain rice and enjoy the taste.