Though I cook before marriage I don’t know to make perfect Coffee. We don’t drink coffee at home and my mom rarely prepares coffee for her by mixing coffee powder, sugar,boiled water and milk. Just make it froth and filter. So NO FILTER coffee in my mom place. After marriage the things are reversed… Everyone have to take a good coffee for an active morning. The posted recipe is purely my MIL method where she makes a perfect coffee from choosing the type of cup used, adding water, making a decoction, filtering and make it froth adding milk This is the method we use to prepare filter coffee, because using a filter gives a thick/strong decoction (consumes more coffee powder) which they do not like, which aids in headache drinking strong coffee. Also to make a note Tea/Coffee is good for health when is prepared without milk. But I cant drink as my criteria is totally reversed “Am a Filter Coffee Lover after marriage ”
Coffee Powder – 3 tsp
Water – 1/2 cup (3/4 cup in medium glass)
Sugar – 2 tsp
Milk – 1 cup
Flat vessel / cup with proper lid
Method of Preparation :
- Boil water and add into the coffee powder. Cover immediately
- Mix it after 30 seconds and again cover with lid
- Now let it rest for a minute to get clear decoction
- Meanwhile boil milk, add sugar and froth.
- Pour the decoction slowly leaving residues behind.
- Froth well and serve hot
Step-wise pictures of making Filter Coffee without a filter :
- Add the coffee powder in a flat bottomed bowl
7. Open the lid
Note / Tips :
- Initially leave it for 30 seconds after mixing leave it for 1 minute.
- Allowing to settle longer time makes the decoction watery and cold.
- So prepare by adding hot milk and hot decoction
- Use stove top to heat as it retains heat compared to microvave.
- Carefully retain the decoction leaving residues behind.
- Follow every step carefully as given to get a perfect filter coffee
- This a medium coffee I prepared with 1/2 cup milk and 1/4 cup decoction to make one tumbler ( steel tumbler shown in picture)
- If you wanted a strong coffee add a tsp of coffee powder in making decoction with same water quantity
- Use freshly boiled milk and good coffee powder.
- I used Narasus brand, but I also prefer using Cothas, Kannan Jublee coffee,Coorg coffee powder
- When you are using coffee powder containing chicory (eg :Narasus Instant, Green Label… one tsp of powder would be sufficient for 1 tumbler of coffee.
Ratio for making 1 tumbler of Coffee :
For medium coffee: 1.5 tsp + 1/4 cup water
For Strong coffee : 2 or 2.5 tsp + 1/4 cup water