This is a very old recipe which I learnt to prepare in my class 8 from my mom. My mother used to prepare this gravy to mix with rice or chapati and sometimes as a travel side dish. Those times we used to cultivate tomatoes and we make lot out of it and per kg varies from Rs 5 per basket (for 1 basket weighing 8-10 kg approx) and maximum great price we have received was Rs 200 per basket in the year 1995. When the rate is too low farmers doesn’t harvest the ripened tomatoes as the price what vendors give will not be sufficient to pay even wages for the workers. So the farmers completely plough the field along with the tomato plant after making usage of available tomatoes into a variety of pickles, thokku and gravy and store it and share it with relatives too…. This is how our tomato story of farmers goes on…… Now you could be clear that this recipe would have been a menu of our regular cooking whenever we cultivate tomatoes and our helping spoon during my hostel days
Click the link below for few more traditional Tomato recipes & Side dishes :
- Tomato Brinjal chutney
- Simple Tomato chutney
- Onion chutney with Tomato
- Tomato rasam – Village style
- Village style tomato kadaiyal for Idli / Dosa
- Tomato thokku with garlic pods
- Tomato bath in pressure cooker
Tomatoes – 4
Onion – 1
Dry red chill – 2
Garlic – 2 pods finely chopped
Chilli powder – 1.5 tsp
Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
Coriander leaves – 1 tbsp finely chopped
Oil (groundnut or gingelly) – 3 tbsp
Crystal salt – 1.5 tsp
Method of Preparation :
- Heat oil, add mustard,channa dal,Urad dal let it fry golden brown.
- Add the onion, dry chillies, garlic and chopped tomatoes.
- Cover and cook
- Add homemade chilli powder,turmeric powder,salt cook in low flame until oil ooze out
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
- This gravy can be refrigerated for about 3-4 days.
Stepwise preparation of Tomato Gravy :
1. Heat a pan, splutter mustard, add channa dal and urad dal
- No additional spice powders are required for this gravy.
- Use groundnut or gingerly oil for the recipe.
- Add only garlic not ginger as the flavor of the gravy would change.
- If you would like to store for long you an avoid onion else add more of oil and cook.
- Refrigerate using a glass bottle.