Kitchen Tips is an vital requirement in every space of our kitchen. Right from cleaning, chopping, cooking somewhere or he other we look for a small tip to be out of some mess or confusions. Here are few tips I follow, which I have learnt by my own experiences mostly, Few from Mother in law, Mom and friends. Few I have Pictured for your better understanding.
Tips for making Idli/Dosa :
- Use the freshly ground batter for idli and a day after for making dosa.
- For soft idlis add a handful of poha while soaking urad dal.
- When making dosa take 2 cups of batter in separate bowl,add little water and use.
- Drizzle a mix of oil + ghee for tasty dosas.
- If you are using iron pan, do not wash every time you use,instead wipe with tissue paper,cover and set aside.
- Next time when making dosa sprinkle water,wipe with a cloth and use.
- Based on health benefits skip refined oils and use gingelly oil / groundnut oil to spread when making dosa.
Tips for making Chapati :
- Make sure to knead the dough softly and fast.
- You can use plain water and salt to knead the dough
- Add a TSP of oil + salt + warm water to knead
- Add TSP of ghee/butter + little milk and knead with water
- After placing rolled dough on hot tawa make sure to flip other side quickly which prevents from hardening.
- Adding ghee/butter along with oil adds taste to chapati
Tips for making Sambar/ Rasam :
- Use combination of Toor dal and moong dal for thick consistency Sambar
- Make sure to add a TSP of castor oil (many don’t use in cooking) else ghee when cooking dal.
- Add a tomato along with dal while cooking. Then extract water along with tomato for making Rasam.
- Making Rasam with dal water tastes perfect.
- Add a pinch of hing(asafoetida) in oil while seasoning for Rasam.
- Do not boil the Rasam prepared with dal water, instead put off flame once starts bubbling in the sides
- But make sure to boil tomato rasam and other varieties
- Use Sambar onion/pearl onions for authentic Sambar.
- Add tamarind water and Sambar powder 5 minutes before you put off flame.
- If you find the Sambar/curries /gravies salty add cubes of peeled potato to absorb excess salt.
- Ad a pinch of jaggery when you make Sambar and pulikuzhambu/vathakuzhambu
- Use gingelly/sesame oil and shallots/small onions when preparing pulikuzhambu/vathakuzhambu
Tips for Utensils/Storage :
- Use separate kadai for deep frying and sautéing/cooking, because when you add oil to deep-fry the kadai/wok becomes sticky,resulting yellow color along the sides.
- Keep separate pan for making dosa, Chappathi and egg
- Always use a tooth brush to clean the edges of Utensils and back side of mixer jar
- Use mild liquid detergents to was you water bottles,plastic boxes and tiffin boxes
- Make sure to label all masalas and spice powder for easy pickup
- Always buy adequate quantity of dal to avoid spoilage.
- Never store salt,tamarind in plastic boxes. Instead use ceramic, glass,porcelain
- Use sponge scrub to clean your stove top and new vessels to get of scratches
- Add a tsp of detergent powder in sink hole to prevent odor
- Mix vinegar/lemon with water when cleaning inside refrigerator to prevent odou
1.Use Soft Brush to clean on Top and Tooth brush to clean in the edges
2. Paste few hanging hook in the kitchen walls for easy accessibility of knife, scissors, peelers
5. To make your iron kadai/ dosa pan for regular usage (as shown in picture) grease it with oil when not in use.