Sattu Maavu | Health Mix – Millets are group of traditional grains which imparts a healthy metabolism for a perfect daily. Store bought are very expensive and home made sattu maavu/health mix is an economic alternative. Usually my mom makes in huge batches and pack for my sister and me and for my father. Porridges are one of our regular breakfast menu from the time we were with my grandfather. I remember my childhood days where my grandfather takes a bowl of ragi porridge along with any spinach variety cooked from our filed else mango pickle would be his choice of side dish for porridge. As years passed by we started preparing sattu maavu by adding various grains and cereals now along with millets too…
This recipe of sattu maavu is prepared using all varieties of rice, grains, cereals, lentils, millets, nuts and herbs
This sattu maavu / health mix powder is suitable for all age groups from 1 year and above. Why I don’t prefer this for babies/ infants below 1 year is their digestive system is too soft that they cannot digest heavy grains /cereals which I have posted. To know about infant/ baby porridge recipes and tips click the link How to prepare Baby Porridge
- Saamai / Little millet – 1 cup
- Broken wheat / whole wheat – 1 cup
- Hand pounded rice / Kaikuthal arisi – 1 cup
- Red rice / Sivappu arisi – 1 cup
- Finger millet / Ragi – 1 cup
- Pearl millet / Bajra /Kambu – 1 cup
- Red Sorghum / Sivappu Chollam / Lal Jowar – 1 cup
- Foxtail millet / Thinai – 1 cup
- Green gram / Pachai payiru – 1 cup
- Soya chunks – 1 cup
- Sago / Sabudhana – 1 cup
- Roasted gram dal / Pottu kadalai – 1 cup
- Irungu chollam – 1 cup
- Barley rice – 1 cup
- Split moog dal / Paasi paruppu – 1 cup
- Brown channa / Kondakadalai – 1 cup
- Nendran Banana powder – 1 cup
- Horse gram / Kollu – 1/2 cup
- Kabuli channa – 1/2 cup
- Flax seed / Aazhi vidhai – 1/2 cup
- Bamboo rice / Moongil arisi – 1/2 cup
- Badam / Almonds – 1/2 cup
- Cashews – 1/2 cup
- Dry Ginger / Sukku – 2 inches
- Pepper – 1/2 tsp
Method of Preparation of Sattu Maavu | Health Mix:
- Set all your ingredients.
- Divide them into batches like which grains can be roasted together (Just for time & fuel saving)
- Heat an iron kadai / Thick wok and dry roast all ingredients in low/medium flame
- Transfer into a wide plate/ towel
- Repeat for all grains
- Mix well and allow them to cool.
- Carry to a flour mill and grind as fine powder.
- Spread again to get rid of moisture formed during grinding
- Once cool transfer to a air tight container or glass bottle.
Step-wise of Preparing Sattu Maavu | Health Mix :
- Firstly, set in Ready with all your ingredients
- Then divide them into batches of your choice and fry together
- Heat a kadai / Thick bottomed wok and dry roast the grains.
- Dry roast the divided grains as shown in the pictures below.
- I used two kadai simultaneously to roast my ingredients
- Transfer it into a wide plate/ towel.
- Now roast all the grains/cerals/millets
- Mix well
- Grind from flour mill or mixer using tall jar
- Spread evenly to free from moisture formed after grinding
- Transfer to an air tight container
- The grains which I used in picture gave me 1.5 kg of health mix powder
- Do not roast ingredients in high flame as they tend to burn
- Using of dry ginger and pepper is optional but I prefer to add them for health concern.
- Keep stirring the grains at regular intervals for even roasting
- If you are using paper use 3-4 sheets else the moisture would cause tearing of paper
- This health mix can be used to prepare porridges for all age groups
- Porridges can be prepared either using curd and salt else Milk and jaggery of your choice
- You can also use all other varieties of millets too but I prefer adding any 2 or 3 as adding all millets would blunt the taste/ flavor of other ingredients added ?