Arachu Vitta Sambar | South Indian Sambar This method of sambar is called as “Arachu vitta Sambar” in tamilnadu which is prepared generally for Idli/Dosa.As I stated earlier Samabr is prepared in many different styles and so South Indian can be even called as land of Sambar varieties. This sambar is prepared without adding onion & garlic. I think is very simple and need to be tried at home.
This is Ingredients of Arachu Vitta Sambar:
1. Toor dal – 1/2 cup
2. Mixed vegetables (red pumpkin, carrot, radish, potato )-1 cup
3. Turmeric powder -1/4 tsp
4. Tomato -1
5. Sambar powder -2 to 3 tsp
6. Mustard -1/4 tsp
7. Ghee -1 tbsp
8. Salt as required
9. Tamarind -1 gooseberry sized
To fry and grind :
1. Fenugreek -less than 1/4 tsp
2. Coriander -1 tsp
3. Jeera -1 tsp
4. Dry Red chilli -3
5. Grated coconut -2 tbsp
6. Curry leaves -few
7. Oil -1 tsp
Method of Preparation of Arachu Vitta Sambar:
1. Please Wash the dal and pressure cook with the chopped vegetables, tomato, turmeric powder and sambar powder.
2. Wash and soak the tamarind and extract the pulp.
3. Meanwhile heat oil in a pan, fry the ingredients to grind and make a fine paste using a blender.
4. Once the pressure is down, transfer the paste to the cooked dal and add tamarind juice.
5. Allow it to boil for about 5 minutes with adding salt.
6. Finally add tempering : heat ghee and fry mustard, curry leaves and add to the prepared dal.
- Take care not to make the paste very fine.
- Do not over boil after adding the grinded paste to pressure cooked dal, as all the ingredients added are fried and cooked already.
- If you require, garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
Read Others : How To Prepare Filter Coffee Without Coffee Filter