Baby Corn Dosai – Baby corn is the young corn which is said to be the cereal grain taken from early harvesting of corn where their stalks are still small and immature. We can also call it as the tender immature corn. Baby corn dosai would be an additional change in making different types of dosa varieties. As I have stated in my earlier posts, I rarely prepare plain white dosa. Instead I go for millet dosa varieties or else prefer making variety doses with white dosa batter.
Ingredients of Baby Corn Dosai:
- Baby corn (finely chopped) – 1 cup
- Onion – 2 finely chopped
- Red chilli powder – 1 tsp
- Coriander powder – 1.5 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
- Jeera/cumin powder – 1/2 tsp
- Salt – 1 tsp
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Dosa batter – as required
- Ghee – to spread around sides of dosa
Method of Preparation of Baby Corn Dosai:
- Heat oil in pan, fry well the onions, baby corn
- Add in all the spice powders along with salt.
- Once cooked soft add chopped coriander leaves.
- Spread on top of dosa, drizzle a tsp of ghee.
- Serve with coconut chutney for better combination.
Step-wise of Making Baby Corn Dosai :
1. Finely chop the baby corn else in thin slices as shown in picture above.
2. Heat oil in a pan, fry onions
3. Once the onions are transparent add the chopped baby corn and fry well
4. Fry until the corn is half cooked
5. Add the Spice powders (Pepper, Red chill, turmeric, Jeera, coriander) along with salt
6. Cover with lid and let it cook soft
7. Finally add chopped coriander leaves
8. Stir well for about a minute, put off the flame
9. Make a fine dosa and spread the baby corn masala on the top of it. Simmer the flame.
10. Flatten/press using the flat spatula/spoon.
11.Drizzle few drops of ghee along the sides
12. When the bottom turns golden brown, fold and transfer to a plate.
- Chopping of baby corn is purely of your choice. Its better you can chop into very fine pieces.
- Also steam the chopped baby corn for about 2-3 minutes and then fry along with onions.
- I prefer little bigger pieces and crunchy taste so did not chop finely or even pre cook.
- You an also use gram masala.
- Do not flip other side to cook as the baby corn get separated.