Bitter Gourd Gravy | Bitter Gourd Fry With Tomato
Bitter Gourd Gravy | Bitter Gourd Fry With Tomato – This bitter gourd gravy is one of my favorite dish since my childhood. My mom always prepares this recipe whenever we buy bitter gourd. This is quite different with combined taste of bitterness along with tangy and spicy masala added. This recipe can be served to mix with plain rice also suits well for curd rice.
Ingredients of Bitter Gourd Gravy:
- Bitter gourd – 2 Nos
- Tomato – 1
- Shallots / Pearl onion – 1/2 cup
- Garlic – 1 full
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Red chilli powder – 1.5 tsp
- Salt – 1 tsp
- Oil – 3 tbsp
Method of Preparation of Bitter Gourd Gravy:
- De-seed the bitter gourd then wash and finely chop it.
- Heat oil in thick pan and fry the bitter gourd.
- Cover with a lid and let it cook for sometime. Check in between and stir well.
- After about 6-8 minutes the bitter gourd turns to be soft as shown in picture.
- Meanwhile finely chop the shallots, tomato and garlic.
- Now add the chopped ingredients and keep frying.
- After 3 minutes add the red chilli powder, salt and turmeric powder, cover and cook again.
- The spice powder now gets blended and cooked with the bitter gourd, tomato and onion.
- Cook until all the ingredients becomes gravy.
- Serve with hot Rice or curd rice.
- You can also chop the bitter gourd with seeds if they are soft. If you find the seeds hard and stringy better to remove it.
- You can also replace shallots with onion.
- Do not add coriander leaves or any additional masalas as they tend to change the originality of this traditional dish.