Bottle Gourd Gravy | Suraikkai Gravy | Lauki Sabzi
Bottle Gourd Gravy | Suraikkai Gravy | Lauki Sabzi – Bottle gourd is used for preparing gravies usually in North. This vegetable is rich in water content and also contains digestible fiber thus preventing constipation. It has amazing range of health benefits top from beauty to health. Bottle gourd is taken in juice form mainly for weight reduction, premature greying of hair and also helpful in diabetic patients (reduces blood sugar level). This recipe is from my friend (Pammi) who loves simple and easy cooking all the time. This recipe is very simple and easy to be parcticed.
Ingredients of Bottle Gourd Gravy:
- Bottle gourd – 1
- Onion – 1
- Tomato – 1
- Green chillies – 2
- Jeera/cumin seeds – 1tsp
- Ginger – 1/2 inch finely chopped
- Oil – 3 tbsp
- Red chilli powder – 1 tsp
- Coriander powder – 2 tsp
- Sabzi masala/Garam masala – 1tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Salt – 2 tbsp
Method of Preparation of Bottle Gourd Gravy:
- Finely chop the onions, tomatoes, ginger. Slit the green chillies
- Peel off the skin, wash and chop the bottle gourd into small pieces.
- Heat oil in a thick pan add Jeera, onion, green chillies and fry until soft.
- Please add chopped tomatoes and cook mushy.
- Add in all the spice powders and fry for about 5 minutes.
- Add the chopped vegetable, mix well and cook by covering with lid. Simmer the flame.
- Remove the lid and give a fine stir in between and let it cook until soft.
- Serve with hot chapathi or phulka.
- Sprinkle little water if required.
- You are can also add the salt little while frying tomatoes which makes them cook faster.
- If you do not like adding Jeera replace with jeera powder. Adding cumin enhances the flavor of the gravy so do not skip either of the one.
- You can also garnish with coriander leaves if required. I generally don’t.