Cabbage Poriyal Recipe
Cabbage Poriyal – Cabbage is a cool season crop which helps in reducing the LDL levels in blood (it is a bad cholesterol).It also serves as very good antioxidant to fight against certain cancers, dietry fiber and they are low in fat and calories. Cabbage is very good source of vitamin K, which is required for bone metabolism. Another specialty is that cleaned, sliced cabbage can be eaten raw and so can be used in salads. This recipe is very simple and easy to be made.
Ingredients of Cabbage Poriyal:
- Cabbage -2 cup (serves for 4)
- Ginger – 1/4 inch
- Green chilli -3
- Sliced shallot -4
- Mustard -1/4 tsp
- Channa dal& urad dal -1/4 tsp
- Coconut -2 tbsp
- Oil -2 tsp
- Coriander leaves -1 tsp
- Salt as required
Method of Preparation of Cabbage Poriyal:
- Cut the cabbage to thin slices. Do not finely chop the cabbage for poriyal.
- Heat oil in a kadai/pan, add mustard and let it splutter. Then add channa dal ,urad dal and fry till they turn brown.
- Add shallots, green chilli, crushed ginger and saute for a while.
- Now add the cabbage and give a stir. close the lid and cook in steam with low flame for 3-4 minutes.
- Open the lid and check in between as vegetable should not get burnt.
- Sprinkle about 1/2 glass of water, add salt and again close the lid and let it get cooked.
- When cooked completely, garnish chopped coriander and grated coconut and after 1 minute switch off the stove.
- This poriyal is a good combination with green gram dal at lunch time menus.
- Cook the vegetables in low flame to retain the complete nutrition.
- Also do not overcook cabbage as they are low in calories and also can be eaten raw.
- Though it has more nutritional benefits avoid too much/excess consumption as they result in diarrhea.
- Excess Cabbage consumption with iodine deficiency results in hypothyroidism. People with thyroid problems, consult with physician for the quantity of cabbage to be consumed.